Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Movie Review: Paranormal Activity 3

Firstly, I must say that I'm a huge fan of the horror genre. There are few thrills greater than the fear you receive from a well-told story. An effective horror movie has to have all the right ingredients: an interesting plot, suspense, perfectly timed scares, a spooky setting/atmosphere, and good actors. Paranormal Activity 3 had all the ingredients.

I went to Carmike 10 this past Friday to check it out. Normally I don't go to movies from Friday-Sunday because those are the days when the theater is most crowded. But it was the best day out of the three because I went to the 3:15 showing, hoping that because most people are at work or in school at that time during the week, that it would be a sparse crowd. I got what I asked for Friday...I was the only one in the theater! That was one time that I could've used some company.

I was skeptical at first about seeing the movie. It seemed as though they were milking it for all it was worth, beating the franchise in the ground. Also, I never heard of two back-to-back prequels before. It seemed like the producers were grabbing ideas wherever they could find them, since they couldn't go further with a sequel after the first one.

However, I was pleasantly surprised at how scary this movies was. It rounds out the Paranormal Activity franchise by telling how things began. To me, it was the scariest in the series. It was somewhat short, but they used the time well with quality scares and suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment